The Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU) is a state-of-the-art area designed by and staffed with experts in the field. The PCICU care team provides comprehensive care for complex medical and surgical patients from newborns to adults.
The MUSC Children’s Health PCICU:
- Is one of only a few intensive care units in the country dedicated to pediatric heart care.
- Is equipped to provide complex therapies with a specific cardiac focus.
- Has a team that includes specialized nurses, respiratory therapists, a pharmacist, clinical assistants, clinical nutritionists, occupational, physical and speech therapists, as well as specifically trained physicians in pediatric cardiology and critical care.
- Promotes a culture of safety.
- Has its own waiting room for families with a child in the PCICU, complete with computers with internet access, televisions, a private consultation room and a private lactation room for breastfeeding mothers.
- Has a guest relations specialist who helps families with lodging, transportation and other needs.
Pediatric Cardiac Step-Down Unit
The pediatric cardiac step down unit provides specialized care for children who don’t need to be in the intensive care unit. This recently remodeled intermediate care unit features 14 private rooms with in-room sleeping available for family members.
The step-down unit team includes specialists from many disciplines with a pediatric cardiac focus who promote excellence.