The Family Literacy Program helps parents and caregivers learn how to develop early literacy skills in their children through play and shared reading. Our hope is that all children in the Lowcountry start school prepared to learn. The program offers two free services to families from Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester counties.
Through a series of 12-biweekly sessions, parents learn how to prepare their child for school, manage discipline issues, and promote literacy development. Sessions provide an opportunity for the child and parent to spend time playing and learning together. This program is a great option for children who have not had the opportunity to attend preschool or Head Start.
- Sessions include fun activities for children to learn letters, shapes, colors and more
- Sessions are by appointment, with the parent and child together
- Children should be between the ages of 30 months and 5 years
- Children receive a free book with each appointment
- Parents can receive support to improve reading and other job-related skills
Triple P Positive Parenting
Triple P is an evidence-based parent education program. Through a series of four 30-minute consultations, parents learn about some of the causes of behavior problems and how to improve their child's behavior. Sessions are conducted one-on-one, the parent and the practitioner.
- Appointments are for parents/caregivers only
- For parents of children with mild/moderate behavior problems
- Can be held with the Family Literacy sessions or separately
Both programs are free and open to the community. All sessions are conducted at the MUSC Children's Care Clinic in North Charleston and can be conducted in English or Spanish.
The Family Literacy Program thanks Trident United Way, the Coastal Community Foundation and The Joanna Foundation for their support.
If you would like to support the MUSC Family Literacy Program, we are always in need of new or gently used books and developmentally appropriate learning materials.
Limited volunteer opportunities are available for individuals who speak Spanish and have experience working with families. Individuals must complete an MUSC health clearance, background check, and commit to volunteering for at least 6 months.
Resources for Families
MUSC Children's Care Network - North Charleston Clinic
2070 Northbrook Blvd. Suite A-16
North Charleston, SC 29406
For more information, please call Marina Lopez, MLIS at 843-876-2506 or e-mail email@example.com.