In general, Pediatric Trauma patients will be admitted to the Pediatric Surgery service. Patients with trauma isolated to a single organ system may be admitted to the specific surgical service. Patients admitted for a diagnosis of trauma will not generally be admitted to the Pediatrics service.
List of patients who must be admitted to the Pediatric Surgery/Trauma service
- Patients with multi-system injuries.
- Patients with traumatic injuries involving either the chest or the abdomen.
- Patients with vascular injuries.
- Patients with femur fractures with a mechanism predictive of more extensive injuries.
- Patients with burns, caustic ingestions, electrical injury.
Care of spinal cord injury will be coordinated between Pediatric Trauma, Neurosurgery and Pediatric Critical Care service.
Ventilated Pediatric Trauma patients and other patients admitted to the PICU shall require consultation of the Pediatric Critical Care service.
When ICU admission is called, PICU team should be contacted ASAP. In general, the patient will remain on the pediatric surgical service or the appropriate surgical service.
The Trauma Center quality assurance process will review injured patients admitted to non-surgical services.
Back | Next