Child Life Internship
The Child Life department at MUSC Children's Hospital offers a 14-week (560 hours) child life internship. Selected students will be supervised by certified and experienced child life specialists. The intern program schedule consists of a one-week orientation, two 6-week rotations and one optional week at the end of the experience. For the optional week, it may be possible for the student to choose a placement in order to observe a special interest area. Make-up days for authorized absences will be rescheduled during a 15th week if necessary.
After a period of observation, interns will have the opportunity to work directly with patients and families. Rotation supervisors determine readiness, closely supervise and will be present for guidance. Interns will plan and implement a range of child life interventions including developmentally appropriate play sessions, preparation, coping support and family support and education.
Interns have the opportunity to serve in two areas. These areas may include:
- Inpatient units (specialty units such as hematology/oncology or medical/surgical units)
- PICU (pediatric intensive care unit)
- Ambulatory or inpatient surgery
- Oncology clinic
- Emergency department
The intern's schedule is dependent on the area served and may include evenings and weekends.
**Prerequisites updated 6/22/15
- College seniors or graduate students majoring in a related concentration must be currently enrolled in a degree program.
- Transcripts should reflect significant course work related to the field of child life, child development and the care of infants, children, youth and families.
- A minimum of (3) three courses in infant, child, and adolescent development (with a grade of B or higher) are required. Three or more development courses are preferred.
- A minimum GPA of 3.2 overall and 3.0 to 4.0 in the major field of study.
- 100+ hours of volunteer or practicum experience in a child life program under the supervision of a Certified Child Life Specialist. These hours must be completed prior to applying.
- Three letters of reference.
- Official, sealed transcripts from all colleges attended.
Application & Deadlines
MUSC Children's Hospital follows the Child Life Council recommended application deadlines and process, including acceptance and offer procedures for the Fall and Spring internships. We do not offer a summer internship program. Practicum placements are only offered through the College of Charleston graduate program.
All notification and other communication is through email. Application must be postmarked by deadline date or it will not be considered.
Completed applications should be mailed to:
MUSC Children’s Hospital
Jennifer Redfern, Child Life Intern Coordinator
165 Ashley Avenue
Room 701 Children's Hospital
Charleston, SC 29425-3290
Applications sent by email will not be accepted. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Redfern at email@example.com or at 843-792-2466.