Heart Health Program
What Is It?
The Heart Health Program is both the pediatric weight management program of MUSC Children's Health and the preventive cardiology service of the Children's Heart Center. As a family-centered and lifestyle-oriented program, Heart Health is appropriate for any child or adolescent who has abnormal weight gain and/or associated cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or pre-diabetes.
What Do I Get?
- Regular clinic visits with a Registered Dietitian who has a certificate in training in pediatric and adult weight management
- Periodic physical examinations with the program’s attending Medical Director board certified in pediatrics and obesity medicine
- Structured program with nutrition, activity, and behavioral education
- Personalized coaching and health recommendations
- Weekly group sessions
- Weekday and Saturday fitness sessions
- Monthly newsletters
How Do I Enroll?
Our Care Team
Melissa Henshaw, M.D., MSCR, DHA | Medical Director
Dr Henshaw developed and has directed Heart Health since 2004. Dr. Henshaw’s clinical expertise includes pediatric preventive cardiology and weight management. Her research is focused on the pediatric metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk factors. Dr. Henshaw is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
Janet Carter, MS, RD, LD | Program Manager
Janet has been with Heart Health since 2006 and is very passionate about the program and very dedicated to the families she helps every day. She holds a certificate in Adult and Pediatric Weight Management and conducts individual nutrition counseling sessions with the families on a bi-weekly basis in addition to weekly group sessions.
Keely Flynn, MPH, RD, LD | Heart Health Dietitian
Keely is one of two heart health dietitians. She has been a registered dietitian for three years and is passionate about health and wellness. Keely and Janet have an individualized approach that will help you meet your health-related goals.
News & Announcements
Are you looking for an additional weight loss resource?
Eligible adolescents and adults may benefit from the MUSC Bariatric Surgery program, which includes experienced mental health professionals, dietitians, nurses and physicians, and is dedicated to helping patients safely realize weight loss success.
Monday through Friday 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Saturday 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Address: 4800 Park Circle, North Charleston, SC 29405
Park and meet at Felix Davis Community Center; sessions will be in the grassy area to the right of the building (look for volunteers in bright yellow shirts)
*Assume cancellation in inclement weather—you WILL NOT be notified
Email email@example.com to schedule fitness sessions at least a week in advance.
Heart Health participants are encouraged to attend clinic visits every two weeks. These can be scheduled at any of our 4 locations:
- Monday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Mount Pleasant Clinic and 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort clinic) and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Thursday: 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort clinic) and 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Fri.: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations)
This Month's Group Session Schedule
- Oct 5th: Whole Grains
Why are there so many different types of grains and which one is healthier? Come learn the WHOLE story so you can make the best choice.
- Oct 12th: Mindful Eating
Often we eat without thinking about it. This might lead us to make unhealthy choices. Learn how to eat more mindfully.
- Oct 19th: What is a Calorie?
Achieving a healthy body weight depends a lot on knowing about calories. Come to this fun session & you may be surprised by what you learn!
- Oct 26th: Halloween Party
Come dressed up (if you’d like) and ready to have some fun!
All group sessions are 5 to 6 p.m and are located at Miller Motte Technical College (8085 Rivers Avenue) in North Charleston.
Heart Health Newsletter (PDFs)