Heart Health Program
What Is It?
The Heart Health Program is both the pediatric weight management program of MUSC Children's Health and the preventive cardiology service of the Children's Heart Center. As a family-centered and lifestyle-oriented program, Heart Health is appropriate for any child or adolescent who has abnormal weight gain and/or associated cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or pre-diabetes.
What Do I Get?
- Regular clinic visits with a Registered Dietitian who has a certificate in training in pediatric and adult weight management
- Periodic physical examinations with the program’s attending Medical Director board certified in pediatrics and obesity medicine
- Structured program with nutrition, activity, and behavioral education
- Personalized coaching and health recommendations
- Weekly group sessions
- Weekday and Saturday fitness sessions
- Monthly newsletters
How Do I Enroll?
Our Care Team
Melissa Henshaw, M.D., MSCR, DHA | Medical Director
Dr Henshaw developed and has directed Heart Health since 2004. Dr. Henshaw’s clinical expertise includes pediatric preventive cardiology and weight management. Her research is focused on the pediatric metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk factors. Dr. Henshaw is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics and the American Board of Obesity Medicine.
Janet Carter, MS, RD, LD | Program Manager
Janet has been with Heart Health since 2006 and is very passionate about the program and very dedicated to the families she helps every day. She holds a certificate in Adult and Pediatric Weight Management and conducts individual nutrition counseling sessions with the families on a bi-weekly basis in addition to weekly group sessions.
Keely Flynn, MPH, RD, LD | Heart Health Dietitian
Keely is one of two heart health dietitians. She has been a registered dietitian for three years and is passionate about health and wellness. Keely and Janet have an individualized approach that will help you meet your health-related goals.
News & Announcements
Are you looking for an additional weight loss resource?
Eligible adolescents and adults may benefit from the MUSC Bariatric Surgery program, which includes experienced mental health professionals, dietitians, nurses and physicians, and is dedicated to helping patients safely realize weight loss success.
Register NOW for the 5K Fun Run/Walk for Healthy Kids! Join us for the 3rd annual Heart Health 5K Fun Run/Walk for Healthy Kids on Saturday, June 17, 2017. Sign up using the red "Register Now" button to your right or follow this link.
Monday through Friday 5 to 6 p.m. and 6 to 7 p.m. (Deas Hall at the Citadel)
Saturday 9 to 10 a.m. and 10 to 11 a.m. (Park Circle in North Charleston)
Email email@example.com to schedule fitness sessions at least a week in advance
Heart Health participants are encouraged to attend clinic visits every two weeks. These can be scheduled at any of our 4 locations:
- Monday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Mount Pleasant Clinic and 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 12 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort clinic) and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Thursday: 8 p.m. to 4 p.m. via Telemedicine (Beaufort clinic) and 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the North Charleston Clinic
- Fri.: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Summerville Clinic and 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. via Telemedicine (various locations)
This Month's Group Session Schedule
- May 4th: Fitness is Fun!
Get creative with exercise and learn tips and tricks to stay active. Join us and practice some fun ways to GET MOVIN’!
- May 11th: Handling Outside Influences
We are constantly interacting with people who can influence us. How will they influence YOU? Learn how to stick to your goals even when others might make it difficult.
- May 18th: Healthy Eating On the Run
Busy schedules may have your family eating on-the-go. Find out how to identify healthier fast food and convenience store options & learn how to prepare portable snacks.
- May 25th: Trying New Foods
The most popular group! Try some new healthy foods. You never know, you might end up with a new favorite!
All group sessions are 5 to 6 p.m and are located at Miller Motte Technical College (8085 Rivers Avenue) in North Charleston.
Heart Health Newsletter (PDFs)