Echocardiography (heart ultrasound) is a way to image the heart. It is the most commonly used method to diagnose as well as exclude congenital and acquired heart disease from fetal life up through adulthood.
Echocardiograms provide pediatric cardiologists and cardiac surgeons with images of anatomic abnormalities of the heart as well as information about heart muscle function, heart valve function, and blood flow and pressures in the heart chambers.
The Pediatric Echocardiography Laboratory:
- Enjoys national recognition for excellence in diagnostic capabilities.
- Has been one of a select group of pediatric echocardiography laboratories with continuous accreditation by the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL) since 2001.
- Performs over 8,000 echocardiograms annually.
- Has a staff of seven specialized pediatric echo sonographers and six pediatric cardiology imaging specialists.
- Is dedicated to providing the best cardiac imaging available.
- Works closely with our pediatric cardiac anesthesia colleagues to provide sedation services for echocardiograms when needed.
- Strives to provide the most pleasant experience possible for the children and their families.
- Offers 3-D echocardiography.
- Uses the added information from 3-D imaging in repairing complex heart defects.
- Has developed an international reputation for our expertise and research contributions.
- Regularly conducts training workshops and symposiums.
- Participates in local and national research projects, including many studies through the Pediatric Heart Network.
- Performs echocardiograms at MUSC Children’s Hospital as well as a variety of clinics.
Our Care Team
More Care Team Members
Karen Chessa | Sonographer
Chris Early | Sonographer
Tyler Thomas | Sonographer
Tammy Churchill | Sonographer