The MUSC Pediatric Hospitalist Service is a dedicated team of highly trained academic pediatricians committed to providing the highest quality of inpatient care to your pediatric patients. At times, your child’s primary care physician may request that a specially-trained pediatrician, called a hospitalist, oversee your child’s care during his or her stay at the MUSC Children's Hospital.
Hospitalists are pediatricians who are specialized in caring for children admitted to the hospital. MUSC hospitalists can respond quickly to emergencies or changes in your child’s condition. They can also promptly coordinate your child’s individualized care with specialists (such as a cardiologist or surgeon), the laboratory, radiology, and other services, as needed.
We can provide excellent care to a wide diversity of patients, from commonplace illnesses to the most difficult diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas.
- evaluate patients for potential admission through the pediatric emergency department.
- admit patients, develop plans for diagnosis and treatment within 24 hours of admission.
- coordinate sub-specialty and surgical consults, as needed, while continuing to oversee the overall care of the patient.
- maintain open lines of communication with patients and their families throughout their stay and upon their discharge.
- maintain open lines of communication with patients' physicians.
- provide a detailed discharge summary for patients and their physicians.
If you are a physician and would like more information about Pediatric Hospitalist Services at MUSC Children's Hospital, please visit our page on the Department of Pediatrics Web site.